09 October 2008

Art imitates life.

Just finished watching War of the Worlds (Spielberg 2004) for my film history class. I figure if I am not sleeping I might as well use that time to work on things that need to get done. Ha. But I am completely and totally freaked out now at two things. 1. That movie came out 4 years ago! I can't even believe it. It is a weird feeling. When I saw 2004 I about flipped. 2. It scared me then, and it scares me now. The fact that there could be alien war craft under the earth's surface buried there for millions of years, before we even existed! I think it's completely realistic and it scares the hell out of me.
Anyway, I was very skeptical about the fact that I had to watch this, considering all the other films I have had to watch were absolute classics of cinema and this isn't so much. But, I was really pleasantly surprised. Back when I saw it four years ago I didn't notice 1/4 of the things I noticed this time. There are so many scenes that just took my breath away. Not so much because of the great acting, (even though it was ok) it was the cinematography and the art created on the screen. So many ways the camera was positioned, so many ways the characters were placed, so many stunning images--and not because of the special effects. I never really cared too much about Steven Spielberg before. I know he is a great director, and makes Hollywood blockbusters. But man, I have a whole new-found respect for him. And really, the emotions I felt during this film really made me realize that this path I have chosen is perfect for me.

No comments: